Best Dog Parks in Seattle: Luther Burbank
Seattle has a lot to offer dog owners. Natural fresh water lakes, dense forests, mountains, and rivers. There are now more dogs than children in the Pacific Northwest, which speaks to their enthusiasm for canines. For this reason, there is no shortage of destinations for you and your companion.
Mercer Island is just a few minutes east of the Emerald City and is home to one of our favorite dog parks on the west coast: Luther Burbank Park.
This dog park is park of a larger city park that spans 7 acres along Lake Washington. It rests at the north eastern end of Mercer Island with amazing views of the Seattle skyline. Parking can be a challenge in the summer when the weather is nice. There are a few overflow lots nearby if needed.
There are several entrances to this venue. The main entrance provides a "holding tank" (fenced area before the fenced area), leading to the two main areas of the dog park. One area is designated for small dogs and has plenty of benches for onlooking parents. The other area is for larger dogs and leads to the lakeside shore.
The shoreline is man made and has several subsections. One subsection is large enough for a couple dogs and their owners, or perhaps one elderly dog. It is secluded, which makes it great for quiet one on one time - just you, your pup, and the lake. The larger subsection is where the majority of dogs will be playing, and thus offers less privacy. Owners tend to hang back on the shore and toss balls and toys into the lake for their dogs to fetch.
Lake Washington is boat friendly. When the sun comes out, watercraft can generate waves that make their way to the dog park shore. They can be rough if large boats are driving quickly, so keep an eye out for the wake and always monitor your pooch when they are in water.
There are poop bags provided at the entrances of the dog park, and there is a complementary shower station where you can give your dog a quick rinse before jumping in the car.
If you live in Seattle or are just passing through, this park should be at the top of your list, especially if your dog enjoys taking a dip!
How to get there:
1. On I-90 heading eastbound, take Exit 7A (77th Ave SE)
2. At the top of the offramp, turn left onto 77th Ave SE
3. Turn right onto N Mercer Way and continue past the Mercer Island Park and Ride
4. Turn left at the stoplight onto SE 26th St.
5. Turn left at the bottom of the hill onto 84th Ave SE
6. Continue until you reach the stop sign, and take a slight right toward the parking lot
1. On I-90 heading westbound, take Exit 7 (Island Crest Way).
2. Turn right at the top of the offramp onto SE 26th St.
3. Turn left at the bottom of the hill onto 84th Ave SE
4. Continue until you reach the stop sign, and take a slight right toward the parking lot